Hello there! Been a while we talked about air duct cleaning and benefits of doing this on a regular interval. Although, before we get started with the article, there’s one point to note: As per the information provided by EPA, a dirty duct is less likely to cause health problems compared to the rest of the home pollutants. Yet! There are chances of getting an allergy if a visible mold growth inside the duct’s surface is not treated on time.
You should consider duct cleaning when:
- There is a quality amount of mold growth in the inner sides of the surface.
- The ducts are infested with insects or rodents.
- The ducts are clogged due to a high amount of debris or dust collection
If you have any of the listed duct related conditions, then I would recommend you carry a simple duct cleaning in the next furnace HVAC check.
Studies have shown that cleaning HVAC units have shown improved efficiency in the machines and are also great for the long life of the machine. Also, to add, the EPA has never mentioned about cleaning the air duct regularly and suggested to do so only if required.
Now, let’s dig deeper into this concept and understand why you need to know about this.
What is Air Duct Cleaning?
When we talk about heating and cooling systems, it’s not just about how well it heats or cools your home – the quality of the air matters because you are breathing.
Now, let’s imagine a scenario. How many hours do you spend indoors? 5 or 8 or more? That’s how much you are breathing the indoor air, and now I guess you understand why I am stressing on this point. Sadly, indoor air quality is the worst affected one, and in many cases worse than the outdoor air.
Air duct cleaning involves the task of removing the dust and all the contaminants, that are present in the duct network. This includes all the different sections like supply and returns air ducts, also the registers present. A duct cleaning work makes use of a powerful vacuum system that can pull out heavy dust and dirt, keeping your home safe for breathing.
If you are still in doubt, then just give a try to duct cleaning and see the difference by yourselves. There are many quality benefits of carrying out air duct cleaning as explained below.
Should You Have the Air Duct Cleaned or Not?
By now you may know the answer whether you need to carry out an air duct cleaning or not. However, we shall make things clearer to you.
The possible advantages and disadvantages of air duct cleaning are less known, and this is because each house has a different air structure. Some may have a hot, humid atmosphere while others might have a dry, cool feel in the indoors. The requirements keep changing, and you need to follow the steps accordingly.
Do you or your family suffer from frequent allergy or cold? Is unexplained cold or illness a common thing lately? Then this could be a probable reason for the poor indoor air quality, and a simple air duct check could solve the doubt. Carry out a simple visual check on the air duct and see for visible molds or debris, this will give you a better idea if you need to carry out a duct cleaning session or not.
If the air ducts are clean, then there’s no need for the duct cleans. It’s normal to have some dusty registers and may not be the actual reason behind the illness.
On the other hand, if you or your loved ones are facing health issues and air duct cleaning has been a pending task for a long time – then it’s time you consider carrying out the work asap.
Tips to Prevent or Reduce Duct Contamination
Now the ball is in your court, whether you need to schedule a duct cleaning work or not, however, this healthy preventive step can reduce the chances of duct contamination to a great extent. Other ways to take of the air duct health are listed as below:
- Change the filters on a regular basis.
- Filters get clogged, change them whenever required.
- Check for any missing filters, and if the air is not passing through the filters in the desirable form.
- Keep your home surroundings clean and free from dust. If you are a vacuum lover, then go for a HEPA (high efficiency) vacuum cleaner. Even the vacuuming work will increase the amount of dust during and after the job of vacuuming, your air ducts will also get affected in this.
- Use a high-quality air filter, the one recommended for your heating and cooling system at home.
- Whenever you carry out the HVAC system check and repair, ask the technician to clean the cooling coils and attached drain pans for you.
- If any construction or renovation work is going on, avoid operating any of your heating or cooling systems.
- It is recommended to use the HVAC unit only after dusting off the unit properly.
- An important one, if your heating/cooling unit has an inbuilt humidification element, maintain and take care of that in the best possible way. Follow the instructions in the way as explained by the manufacturers.
- In the case of duct leaks, repair them as soon as possible. You need to make sure that no moisture content is present in the ducts, as it can lead to bacterial growth inside the ducts.
- Finally check all the ducts are sealed properly, preventing any kind of moisture formation in the inside (something which is against the machine health)
Call NRG Serve for the Duct Cleaning Service in North York, Toronto, Markham, Richmond Hill, Mississauga and the nearby areas.